Wednesday 10 June 2015

Cotswold Falconry Centre


Last month we had a long overdue family day out, it seems like we don't go to new places much at the moment, I put that mainly down to finances. This time we also had more impetus as we had good friends visiting and they wanted to explore, so we headed out to Moreton-in-the-Marsh and all along the drive I wondered why we didn't go out this way more often, as it's a nice drive.
The destination was the Cotswold Falconry Centre which looks unassuming on arrival but we all really enjoyed the day. It seems quite small but it opens out around the back with lots of enclosures for all their different birds and owls.






But the real jewels of the day are the flying displays, there are several in one day and I recommend you see as many as you can as they are all different and all very entertaining and informative, not knowing anything about birds of prey the handlers were really knowledgeable and I now know that owls, such as the snowy owl above aren't particular clever or 'wise'!



Seeing all the different birds in flight is really beautiful, the big surprise of the day were the vultures, who were all full of character and to see such big birds take off and fly overhead was a real unusual treat. The eldest managed to have an eagle landed on her but another big tip is to have a good camera with you! My compact couldn't really cope with the speed of the flights and I would have loved to have got some closer shots too, it looked popular with keen photographers who had all the gear.
The days entry fee enables you to come and go as you please, so as they don't have much of a cafe we popped next door to the Batsford Arboretum, who have a garden centre and cafe, so we could get some tea and cakes. If we'd had more time I would have loved to go around the arboretum as I can get free entry with my Westonbirt membership and I've always wanted to see their Japanese garden. That will be next time!

No comments: