Friday 22 August 2014

Holiday Day Six

The Red Arrows


Thursday on Lifeboat Week was likely to be the busiest day in Lyme as the big attraction, The Red Arrows were due for a display, so we made sure we got a good spot on the beach and set up camp for the day, even renting a parasol and a couple of deckchairs!
I got to try out new wetsuit - which was ace, seemed to keep me nice and warm and also stop me from burning and getting heat rash while swimming. The sea was cool but you soon got used to it and it was packed with people, all of us cooling off from the hot sun.
The picture above shows Alice's Ledge, a rocky outcrop that you can only see at low tide, which is good for exploring and has a few rock pools.



We spent the whole day at the beach, enjoyed another fabulous sandwich selection from the Lyme Bay Sandwich Company, played on the beach and enjoyed ice-creams while waiting for the 5 o'clock start time.
I wasn't sure what to expect, I didn't think I'd ever seen their proper display before,just fly-pasts, but it was better than I could have imagined. With the fantastic backdrop of the sea, all that expanse of sky, it was a perfect setting and the skill and excitement of their routine was just superb. There was commentary and blips of radio contact so you could understand the precision of their moves, it was amazing.
The beach was packed with people and all up in the gardens above, it was a lovely happy atmosphere.













I found it quite hard keeping up with my little camera! So I'm glad that some of them were usable, I'll just have to come back next year to try again!

No comments: